The ELEMENTS, LLC is a DC based, after-school enrichment program. Our focus is in leading elementary school-aged youth in the winter woods for weekly, active, fun, educational afternoons. For each session we typically have 25 kids attend, 5-6 Elements Crew/interns, 1 Enrichment Director and 1 Site Leader. We are looking for cheerful, outgoing, energetic, responsible role models who share our commitment and desire to getting kids outside!
ELEMENTS Blizzards 2018 is an 8 week program (1/16/18 – 3/8/18) that will meet at several locations throughout NW DC and the surrounding area. ELEMENTS Flurries 2018 is a 6 week program (week of 1/29/18 – week of 3/5/18).
Our team comes from many backgrounds – college & high-school students, camp counselors, teachers, NOLS, Outward Bound instructors etc. We are also hire outstanding applicants from our partner organization, City Kids Wilderness Project. Feel free to apply for our program at any point. We make our final selection for the January 2018 start date in the fall of 2017.
We would love to have you join our energetic, outgoing and outdoorsy team. We are always looking for new faces that are up to the task of ensuring every child involved with the ELEMENTS is having a fun, safe and MEMORABLE experience.
- You must be 18 years or older to work as a paid Elements Crew or Elements Enrichment Director. You must be 15 or older to work as an paid-Elements intern.
- Often times the crew coordinates carpools! But you are responsible for getting to and from our Elements sites on time. We reimburse our CKWP interns for any transportation costs they incur getting to or from their Elements shifts.
- DATES: Elements Crew & Interns must be able to commit to the full season (but not necessarily every session) of Elements Flurries and/or Elements Blizzards, and our mandatory training session on the morning of Saturday, Dec. 2nd 2017 or afternoon of Monday, January 15th, 2018. Often times we hire based on what afternoons work with your schedule, so feel free to apply even if you are only available for some of the weekly sessions / locations. Enrichment Director must be available Monday through Thursday afternoons during the 8 week Elements season.
- TIME: Elements Crew must be on-site at 4:00 for the Crew Brief and can depart at end of programming (5:30) and after participants have been collected (typically 5:40). Elements Enrichment Director will need to allow enough time prior to 4:00 Crew Brief for any enrichment activity set up and will be able to depart at end of session once all equipment is packed and stored.
- All of our Elements Crew & Directors will be required to adhere to the Leave No Trace principles as well as embrace the Elements philosophy regarding age appropriate wilderness challenge.
- You must have experience working with elementary school aged children. Experience could include school settings, camp counselors, scout programs, team coaching, baby-sitting etc., and some outdoor recreation experience, including but not limited to: outdoor clubs, NOLS, Outward Bound, wilderness clubs, Scouting, team sports, summer camps, etc.
- You need to set the tone for the program and teach by example: the Enrichment Director, Crew and Interns must be responsible, cheerful, punctual and prepared (all of equal importance).
- You must be dressed for the elements and able to get involved in the activity that the kids are engaged in.
- You must be able to communicate promptly with the Site Leader.
- You must become familiar with the Elements locations where you are working.
Positions Available for 2018:
ELEMENTS ENRICHMENT DIRECTOR (brand spanking new & awesome Elements position for one amazing, fun loving, nature, winter & kid enthusiast)
The Elements Enrichment director will be in charge of creating and implementing unique outdoor activities, adventures and wilderness skills for the older Elements participants (grades 3-5). The Enrichment Director will be responsible for creating a unique activity for a predetermined theme each week. Working with the Site Director , the Enrichment Director will work to enhance the activity and provide challenges and skill set for our older and more experienced participants.
- Are you an imaginative trailblazer (literally & figuratively)? Are you energetic, cheerful and have experience in inspiring small groups of elementary aged youth in the outdoors?
- Do you enjoy embracing all that Mother Nature has to offer and are you able to craft outdoor activities that are unique and fun?
- Are you able to teach age appropriate skills? Can you set up a camp site, zip line or rope swing? Conduct camp cooking demo? Build a full blown survival shelter out of natural materials? Whittle? Track spore? Tie knots and read a compass? How about setting up am awesome scavenger hunt?
- Applicants must have youth programming experience and be available Monday through Thursday afternoons, January 16th – March 8th, 2018.. Regarding time frame; it will depend on the enrichment activity planned for day and how long it will take to prep and set up. Enrichment Director will need to have set up activity and be available at 4:00pm for ‘Crew Brief’ and can depart after enrichment equipment is stored away and daily program (5:30) is complete and kids collected.
- Pay will be commensurate with past work experience.
ELEMENTS CREW & INTERNS (also awesome role for our Elements team – but not brand new! Seeking approximately 20 – 25 amazing, fun-loving, nature, winter & kiddo enthusiasts Crew)
Our ‘Elements Crew’ are like camp cabin counselors without the cabin! We break the participants into age appropriate ‘Small Groups’ and each Small Group has one Crew for the full season. Once your group has arrived, checked in with the Site Director and received their name-tags, they head off with you, their Small Group Crew for pre-planned adventures in etc woods.
- The Crew/Interns for ELEMENTS will be responsible for the discussing the day’s activity with the Site & Enrichment Directors during the 4:00 Crew Brief.
- The Crew/Interns will help with any necessary equipment, materials and paper work on site.
- The Crew/Interns will be on site to cheerfully greet the participants & parents and supervise and lead their Small Group in the day’s activity.
- The Crew/Interns will assist the Director in making sure all the kids are safe, engaged and having fun. At times this will tap into the improvisational or creative talents of the crew.
- The Crew/Interns will be sure that all the kids are picked up by the appropriate parent or permitted adult.
- The Crew/Interns will help collect and maintain throughout all ELEMENTS equipment and make sure that it is properly stored.
- The Crew/Interns are encouraged to communicate with the Director any positive or negative feedback about the activity, participants, parents or other assistants.
- Pay will be commensurate with past work experience.
If you meet the above qualifications and would like to be considered for one of our available positions,
please send an email with the following information to Fran Barnes at:
- Your resume (if available) or work experience
- Elements Job Application Form – (see online form below)
- Two references – email addresses and phone numbers (ideally outdoor or education related)
- A photocopy of your ID with birthdate (passport or license).
Upon completion of the Elements Application (click below) and upon review of the submitted information, We will contact you to schedule an interview. References will be contacted. Final decisions will be made upon completion and review of all applicants files.